Staff AoE Boon Bomber
Just something I'm having a bit of fun with for PvE, so thought I'd share...
This build has the following thinking behind the Trait lines:
- 20 points for faster flipping between attunement types.
- Blasting Staff chosen to power up AoE fields, making them massive while holding a staff.
- Arcane Mastery specifically to speed up recharge of Arcane Wave, because you're going to use it as your primary combo finisher for AoE fields. Arcane Mastery reduces the recharge to about 16s, so it's quite decent. Your secondary finishers are under the Earth line, Eruption, Stoning or Shockwave. But it's really handy to have a finisher on your Utility bar with this build, so you don't have to switch attunement to finish a field. This really makes the most of your AoE power.
- 20 points for optimal calculated Crit, with the gear I have in mind.
- Quick Glyphs chosen for faster heals from Elemental Harmony, whichs supports your ability to stack boons faster with Inscription (see below)
- Inscription chosen as a nice boon stacker when triggering Glyph. It means you get double whatever Boon you would get from your Glyph heal before. Double Might boon in Earth, super long Swiftness boon in Air that outlasts the cooldown, or an overpowered Regen boon in Water...it's all a bit mental if you ask me. You end up being a little OP, because your Glyph is cooling down faster from Quick Glyphs. It's boon heaven.
- 10 points for a bit of Vitality and boosted healing, generally useful.
- Cleansing Wave chosen because I wanted the Vitality points anyway, and I prefer to be able to remove conditions from the party when I switch to Water. I used to use Cleaning Water (in the Beta's) but that's not possible at 10 points now. Cleansing Wave is a nice bonus anyway and compliments the build nicely.
- 20 points only really chosen for the skills mentioned below.
- Pyro Alacrity and Internal Fire chosen for harder and faster nukes & AoE fields. The power behind the Lava Font + Arcane Wave combo is incredible, so having it recharge quicker is useful, although not desperately necessary. The build works perfectly fine without Pyro Alacrity (see Suggested Alternative below).
This build has the following thinking behind Skills:
- Glyph of Elemental Harmony chosen as a great heal, but it's also key to your ability to boon bomb yourself. Because of Quick Glyphs and Inscription under the Air line, this Glyph will recharge faster than you can possibly need it. You will use it to obtain boons, depending on what you need at the time, not just to heal (see comment above in Traits under Inscription for more)
- Arcane Wave chosen as the key combo finisher to use after laying AoE down. This is easy enough to do, considering how many Field combos there are in this build, because of the Staff weapon skill set. No other weapon skill sets have as many AoE choices. Believe it or not, Geyser and Healing Rain count too! (lol)
- Signet of Earth chosen as a great snare to keep mobs in your AoE, and ok passive defense.
- Arcane Shield chosen because when you combine it with Arcane Mastery from the Arcane trait line (like this build does) it makes for a great shield in sticky moments. You have no excuse to be squishy.
- Glyph of Elementals Elite chosen because I prefer to be out of the fight, and the Ice Elemental is simply brilliant in combat. It has both good damage and heals, and distracts the hell out of mobs while you are trying to deal with them. It will maintain aggro for you. I know a lot of people prefer to spin about in a tornado, so they choose Whirlwind as their elite, but personally I found that it makes you a target and makes you take aggro from every mob in the area...which isn't good when the skill ends and some of those mobs are still alive...but whatever floats your boat really. I just prefer the Elemental.
Gear & Stats
As a starter, I've considered the below gear and stats for PvE. I've used what's available on various build makers, however I expect I will tweak it as I experiment with different gear and team situations - so far my initial tests proved this mix to be very good indeed:
- Gear & Runes:
- Sigil of Superior Accuracy
- Berserker's Amulet
- Knights Jewel
- Superior Rune's of Melandru
Power : 1989
Precision : 1760
Toughness : 1081
Vitality : 1425
Attack : 3117
WeaponDamage : 1128
ConditionDamage : 0
CritChance : 49.19%
CritDamage : 35%
Armor : 2001
Defense : 165
HP : 15895Healing : 100
Although I found this worked well in PvE situations during the Beta's (amidst WvW PvE mobs - which was the only instant L80 situation I found at that point) I'm not sure how the armor level will stand up for newer players in really serious PvE fights. I would say it takes a practiced hand to stay mobile and active. I recommend learning to be good at staying on the move.
For the less experienced Elementalist players, I suggest re-arranging gear & runes to drop down Power a bit (which is fairly OP at this point) and increase Toughness, giving you better Armor & Defense. But really, if you can stay on the move, use your AoE Healing Fields with Arcane Wave when it gets tricky, use your Arcane Shield & Signet of Earth to cut & run...call your Water Ele to tank for you when you need it...well there is no reason not to enjoy the increased power and massive AoE damage this build puts out. It doesn't take all that much to get good at it, so don't be put off. Give it a go!
Note: The above stats were calculated using PvP calculators, as that's all I could find.
Comments on Usage:
For Scepter/Dagger Ele players who are worried you'll miss the +15% speed boost under Arcane from holding a Dagger : You will run faster with this build if you know how to use it. You have +10% speed when you're in Air, plus double stacking Swiftness boons when you use your Glyphs in Air attunement. The boons activated by the Glyph stay on you, even when you switch to another attunement, and because they are double they will literally outlast your cooldown, because of Quick Glyphs & Inscription.
You'll enjoy flipping attunements with this build too, as 20 Arcane points makes flipping 40% faster, and each time you do you gain a Fury boon for an additional 20% Crit chance (thanks to Arcane Fury). So in short : just think "attunement switching is gooooood" while you play with this build.
Also, if you take the time to learn about Combo's you can come up with some great uses for Arcane Wave on your AoE's, by thinking about what Attunement you are using and how you want to finish your AoE combo fields.
Take Lava Font for instance. If you lay that down, then trigger the combo finisher with Arcane Wave, you will gain Might x3 boons (on top of whatever other boons you have). If you already had Might x2 from using Glyph of Elemental Harmony (due to Inscription) you will have....yup....5x Might boons (lol). Congratulations, you're a tank and you've just nuked an area wide enough to punch a hole in the world.
But here's another thing. Take Geyser or Healing Rain for example. If you lay those down as your AoE, then finish it with Arcane Wave, you will get a Blast of instant healing for you and your party. It counts as a combo lol. Is your Arcane Wave skill on cooldown? It recharges about every 15-16 secs with this build, but not a problem...just lay down your chosen AoE and flip to Earth attunement to hit Eruption, Stoning or Shockwave. All 3 are combo finishers, so take your pick depending on what outcome you want from the combo. You can also finish 'other players' AoE fields, and they can use yours.
The AoE possibilities are endless because of the amount of combo Fields and Finishers in this build, so by making Fields faster and wider with a Staff build (I'm talking huge), you're basically an endless bag of fun for you and your team.
If you use the build right, you'll be flipping between attunements, AoE'ing the crap out of things, and racing about wondering why other Ele's are so slow....or dead.
That's all folks!
If you're not worried about the speed of your Fire skills, you could drop 10 points from the Fire line quite comfortably, ditching Pyromancers Alacrity, then add those points into the Arcane trait line. This will have the effect of making attunement switching even faster (60% compared to 40% reduction) and allow you to unlock Elemental Attunement under the Arcane trait line. Elemental Attunement adds yet another boon stacking possibility to the build, which you share with allies.
To make your build